Re: MGB Clutch Pedal Hydraulics

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Clutch Pedal Hydraulics
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 1995 02:22:33 -0400
just to jump in with my .0199988 (intel change) worth...Castrol GT LMA  is
indeed compatable with Castrol Girling, "the british equivelent" as it were.
I strongly recommend AGAINST silicon fluid. As time has progressed it has
become more and more clear that systems designed for earlier-tech brake
fluids do not fare well over time with silicon. The biggest problem is that
the systems in our LBCs are designed to have some amount of seal swelling,
nicely provided by the interaction of the brake fluid with the rubber parts.
The silicon fluid provides none of this , so with a little wear on parts,
systems will start to have pressure leaks.... The other problem is getting
all of the old fluid out of the system before filling up with silicon, with
an old system this is very time consuming, requiring large amounts of alcohol
(and in the brake system too! (g) ) and silicon fluid to be sure of a clean
flushing.