Re: MG Magnette For Sale

To: BASS.GREG@deps.ppl.com, MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG Magnette For Sale
From: Jay Nemeth-Johannes <jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 95 13:28:30 -0600
It is really hard to guess the value of a car without seeing it.
However, as an owner of a 58 Magnette, I'd take a shot.

If I have it right:

  1. No Rust
  2. Not a Varitone (2 tone paint, bigger rear window)
  3. Somewhat tired but running drivetrain
  4. Good wood (important)
  5. Condition of leather unknown (has it been redone in vinyl?)

IF the leather is in good condition, it might be worth up to $3500.
If it has good vinyl or worn leather, I'd keep it around $2500-2700
(costs a fortune to fix that)

Known price points:

  ASKING in Hemmings runs around $6k for concours examples.
  A local club member has been asking $2500 without a nibble for two
years. His car is vinyl interior, OK dash, OK paint in a funky purple.
Good mechanicals.
  I paid $750 for a very complete project (still not quite on the
road, Jim).  I have seen other project cars go for similar money.
  $1400 for a running, but rusty example with an early B engine.
  I've noticed interest in the cars is up in the last two years. That
should translate to higher prices.
  I bought a complete parts car last fall for $200.

Hope that helps some.

  Cheers,
    Jay

    Jay Nemeth-Johannes                       87 Merkur XR4ti
    Hewlett-Packard                           83 VW GTI
    VXI Systems Division                      71 Saab Sonett
    Loveland, Colorado                        58 MG ZB Magnette