Re: black plate?

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: black plate?
From: Douglas Tietz <dwtietz@ucdavis.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 12:35:15 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 21 Apr 1995, Will Zehring wrote:

> marques (didn't find much).  I kept seeing reference to "California black
> plate."  What does that mean?  I recall that the license plates in CA were
> yellow on black about fifteen or more years ago.  Is this related?  In a few
> cases these cars were for sale outside of California.  (?)

Black plates were used on CA cars up through about the middle of 1967.  My
father and a neighbor both own '67s.  Our neighbor's VW Bug was early in
the year and has black plates.  My dad's 67 1/2 Datsun Roadster has blue
plates.  Anyways, if the black plates are on it, they're probably the
originals.

Doug Tietz