Re: Starter/ ignition problem

To: "Susan E. Umbley" <seumbley@mailbox.syr.edu>
Subject: Re: Starter/ ignition problem
From: Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 09:33:25 -0400 (EDT)
Susan,

My guess is that the starter is full of crud and a garage should have
taken it off, cleaned it and put it back on again. It is also possible
that they were using the wrong kind of lubricant so that whenever they took
it apart they repeated the same mistake and it got gooey again.
Starters get dirty often and more in cars that use a clutch and not an
automatic transmission.

The spring should be strong enough to pull it back once the starter isn't
turning the flywheel.
This looks different if the power to the starter isn't interrupted
correctly, i.e. is the key-switch doesn't disengage and sticks in the
starting position.
If this is a typical problem of the kind that appears only when no
mechanic looks my bet is that it might have been not detected by your
garage.

Cheers,
        Gus