Re: diff. questions, MkII

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: diff. questions, MkII
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 10:37:13 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 3 May 1995, Will Zehring wrote:

> John Van Valkenburgh asks:
>

> >You did not mention what kind of diff. you have (banjo or tube-type).
>
> Sorry about that.  Yes, this comes out of my '63 so it is of the banjo sort.
>  Maybe someone someday can also tell me how the heck it got that name, and
> don't tell me because it's shaped like a banjo (unless that is the correct
> answer).
>
> I'm starting to think this is indeed a front seal leak.  It seems to have

Well, of *course* it is not because it is shaped like a banjo.  It is
called a banjo axle because it *holds oil* about as well as a banjo would.
See also banjo fittings for other hydraulic purposes on british cars,
which also leak about as a banjo would.

The predecessor to the banjo axle was the saxophone axle, which leaked
much worse and didn't sound as good.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910