Re: Weber down draft carb

To: KEN@HCACAD.HOLYCROSS.EDU
Subject: Re: Weber down draft carb
From: Robert Rhodes <aa101479@dasher.csd.scarolina.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 09:20:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 4 May 1995 KEN@HCACAD.HOLYCROSS.EDU wrote:

>       Stan Fickes asks for comments about Weber side drafts and indicates
> that he had bad results.  I can only say that my results were superb.  I have
> a 77 MGB with 136,000 miles on it.  About 30,000 miles ago I removed the
> Zenith and put on the Weber.  Since then the car has run FLAWLESSLY!!!!
> I took a trip through the mountains of Vermont and Western Mass last Sunday
> and averaged 31 MPG.  Last summer I had the car on Summit point raceway and
> the speedo hit triple digits (barely).  I have the manual choke version.
> I know not what others may say but, for myself, give me Webers or give me
>*****

        I have a weber down draft carb which replaced a mikuni side draft
(which in turn replaced the two SU's).  I was not at all pleased with the
mikuni (maybe not enough cam? or just never got it set up right)  It
would vapor lock and had a huge flat spot until about 2000 rpm's.  After
that it did make good power.  The weber has improved drivability and
power is good, however i am hoping to replace it with the S.U.'s and do
some comparision tests.  if Anyone with numbers on the differences between
the carbs could forward that infor it would be appreciated.  Also I now
have a header of some type, but still retain the original exhaust.  Again
information on the differences would be appreciated.

        Hey, my speedo hits triple digits every time i hit the freeway
(yet i still seem to be getting passed, hmmm).

        If any one is interested in the mikuni its your for $$150,
including a cheap header that came with it

Rob in Columbia