Re: New MG Owner!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New MG Owner!
From: glenns@edge.ercnet.com (Glenn Schnittke)
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 01:15:52 -0500
dbuckle:

>It's a pleasure to be part of the list.  I'd like to learn as much as
>possible about my new "toy".  The first item on the agenda is to learn how
>to adjust the dual carbs.  I understand they need tweaking just about every
>couple of weeks, is this true??  Any advice anyone can offer would be most
>appreciated, I'm going to spend the next couple of weeks learning the inside
>and out of my MG.

Welcome to the camp. I guess you all know why we're here.

The best introduction I can give you is a few company names (The Roadster
Factory, Moss, Victoria British and there are many more available here in
the archives) and books (the Bentley manual, the Haynes manual) and to tell
you that if you insist on adjusting them there is a Haynes manual available
on SU carbs that will be well worth the, I don't remember, maybe $10 I spent
on it. One of the things it will tell you is that if the carbs seem out of
adjustment, check the rest of engine first, cause that's where it probably
is. You either have HIF4's or HS4's (probably the HS4) and the easy way to
tell is that if you can't find anything that looks like a float chamber,
they're HIF's.

I am, of course, envious of the OD. I still want to shift into 5th gear on
the hiway even though I drive the Jeanette's Civic about once every three
months. One note on it; where the manual says don't shift into reverse while
the OD is still engaged, it REALLY means it. It's like the entire universe
as we know it ceasing to exist. And if you do happen to do it, stop the car,
get out, phone the nearest tow truck and instruct them to tow it with the
rear wheels in the air, not the front, to your nearest shop. Do not pass GO,
etc.

You've come to the right place for info. There is someone here who can
answer any question you have if you're willing to sift through the rocket
scientists sorting out the molecular structure of coolants or the physics of
installing an engine hoist in your garage. And you never know, you just
might meet someone who lives just around the other side of the block from you.

GS
"Mine doesn't have a computer in it -
I have to do all it's thinking for it."

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com             72147.3635@compuserve.com