Repairin' Wooden Dashboards

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Repairin' Wooden Dashboards
From: Nick Benson <grayoak@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 19:10:25 -0600 (MDT)
In my department we deal with a variety of technologies from robots to
lasers.
Now and then though my professor digs up an unusual guest speaker.

We recently had a visit from a guy in Denver who specializes in veneering.
He has practiced the art for about 25 years, and has recently finished a
book, (don't have the title handy.)

He explained why veneer peels off frequently. There are several reasons:
                Poor quality glue
                Poor quality wood backing
                Severe moisture
                Not veneering both sides!
                etc. etc.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone out there is interested in replacing
their grotty wooden dashboard.
>From the discussions with this guy I'm kinda leaning in both directions.

The first is re-veneering over the old wood with superior glue, OR,
making a solid wood dash.
The solid wood dash can warp though, which could be a problem.
I have the expertise, tools, and attention to detail that is required, so
I'm gonna replace my Spitfire dash with solid walnut.

AND, I deal with a couple who have a nice business in laser etching/cutting.
These new lasers can cut through wood or plastic with amazing accuracy.
They can also etch out a logo on a wine glass!!!

The recent demo we had was fascinating. I'm hoping to see them this week
and get a price on cutting out a complete veneer dashboard pattern.
With a suitable template, it can be scanned, and cut in minutes.

Anyone interested in the progress of both of these summer project
business ideas reply to me directly with the message:

Info on Dash's n' Veneers

I know that the prices that VB, Moss, etc charge for new wooden
dashboards can be EASILY beat.

grayoak@holly.colostate.edu

Nick D Benson
Dept. of Industrial Sciences