Re: U-joints in '71 Midget

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: U-joints in '71 Midget
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 08:41:36 -0500
On 17 May 95 at 15:46, Agustin de la Calle wrote:

> bad vibes
> that shake my Midget at 30mph might come from is that the
> U-joints might be dead or stiff in a way of speaking.

You've checked your wheels and tyres already?

> Is there another way of doing some work on the rear end of
> the tranny? Would I have to cut a piece of tunnel away and
> reweld it?

Well, for working on the tranny, you have to remove it. The drive shaft on the
other hand slides right out... You just need to unbolt it back at the diff.
The main problem is getting it back together again- it's a real dog to line up
the splined shaft and get it in place, what with flopping around about the
U-joint and all.

The usual fix here is to cut an opening in the tunnel from *underneath*. Make
it big enough to get ample access. Simple, and it doesn't affect the
structure. The hole in my bugeye is, ah, about 3'x6" or so. If you're really
picky, I suppose you could screw a plate over it when you're done.

   ________
  /     _  \    Roger Garnett             (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)
 /   /||  \ \   Agricultural Economics   | The Wayward Sports Car Centre
| |\/ ||  _  |  3 Warren Hall            | http://www.wayward.team.net/
| |   ||   | |  Cornell University       |
 \    ||__/ /   Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-7801  | (607) 533-7735
  \________/    (607) 255-2522           | Safety Fast!