Re: U-joints in '71 Midget

To: Roger Garnett <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: U-joints in '71 Midget
From: Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 09:31:09 -0400 (EDT)
Roger,

To bad we didn't meet at Carlisle, but that's another
topic.

> You've checked your wheels and tyres already?

Well, actually I could use two good and true wheels
to replace the rear ones. They were a little worse
than the front ones, but not too bad. That can wait
until I have some $$ again (got hosed by a transmission
shop on a repair of the Toy truck).

> The usual fix here is to cut an opening in the tunnel from *underneath*.

Thanks, I was going to see if there's a hole with a
plug from the side, but I am in good terms with my
cute Dremmel tool (actually a Valentine's present
from my wife!).

> Make
> it big enough to get ample access. Simple, and it doesn't affect the
> structure. The hole in my bugeye is, ah, about 3'x6" or so.

Oh, you sure go for the real thing! Were your arms
supposed to become legs? Have you been playing with weights?

Well, I get the picture - the real one.
If the hole is underneath the tunnel it doesn't
harm the integral stability
("...and no containment field is lost.")

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
        Gus