Re: Datsun parts for MG's

To: mgs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Datsun parts for MG's
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Thu, 18 May 1995 09:16:03 +0600
>**** One Japanese part that would interest me greatly would be a
>decent clutch throwout bearing to replace the !@#$# carbon one that comes
>in MGBs and MGAs.
>
>   I wonder if there's another bearing that's close enough in size to use?

You bet.  Not just "close enough" but real roller thrust bearings
specifically designed for the MGB (don't know about MGA's) as a "heavy duty"
replacement for the carbon bearing.  It's listed in most MGB catalogs, but
kinda inconspicuously right below the carbon throwout bearing.  Look closely
and you'll see it.

I think I'll get one next time I change my clutch.  Yes, it costs about four
times as much as the carbon, but barring catastrophic failure they're
supposed to last much longer.  For those weaned on the carbon bearings, I
don't doubt the roller thrust bearing would last indefinitely.
--
Jay Tilton     | Hoo hoo has and a hoka hoka hey!
jtilton@vt.edu |