Meboe is right!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Meboe is right!
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 16:23:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 21 Jun 1995, Greg Meboe wrote:

> Ray,
>       If you say the engine is an 18GH, then I would respond that the
> reason you can't find the timing mark on the crank pulley is because the
> timing mark is on the bottom of the pulley.  Get under the car and look
> up and you will see the timing marks, both on the engine side and on the
> crankshaft pulley.  Commonly people think that their crank pulley and

Despite being only 25 years old and not knowing a blessed thing about cars
or the meaning of life, Greg was right about the location of the fixed
timing mark on an MGB 18GH engine.

I had driven it to work, so I looked.  There the little thing is, hanging
like a mechanical uvula behind the crank pulley, dead center on the bottom
(it looked a lot like a multifaceted oil drop).  What a wonderful place
for it; you need pretty long arms to adjust the timing.  Now, either the
car is running with the timing 60 -120 degrees advanced or retarded, which
seems fairly improbable, or mayhap there's a rubber layer in the pulley
that has slipped.  Just because I am curious, I'll check the static timing
as soon as I have time, and see what I get.

I better not buy this car; I will suggest Tim sell it to Click and Clack
as a rolling puzzler.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910