RE: How do I buff......

To: MGS <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: How do I buff......
From: "Palmer, Lew (UCI)" <LEW@p01.uci.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 95 08:17:00 PDT
I have recently made these discoveries myself. Here's what I did (and I'm
thrilled with the results):

1) Went to Black & Decker store and purchased a 9" (largest they had)
buffing machine. (cost $47.00 on sale through end of June)

2) Found an auto parts store that handles 3M polishing products. Bought 1
quart each of:
     Microfine compounding liquid
     pink glazing liquid (Finessit)
     liquid wax

I apply the compound with a terrycloth pad on the buffing wheel until all
traces of scratching and dullness is gone. Then wipe it all off. Apply the
glaze and immediately rub it in and wipe it off while still wet. Be sure to
do this when the car is in the shade and the metal is cool, otherwise you'll
wind up with severe staining. Top it off with a machine buffed application
of the wax.

The results are spectacular! Total time on my TD was about 4 hours. The
Miata was about the same.

Regards,
Lew Palmer
lew@uci.com

Any suggestions on how to buff out a badly oxidized MGB.  I've tried a
small area rubbing by hand with a cutting compound and it comes up really
nice and shiny.

I've never buffed out paintwork before, and would greatly appreciate any
advice on what tools are worth purchasing for a power drill.

Nick D. Benson
Dept. of Industrial Sciences
Colorado State University
Fort Collins  CO