Re: How do I buff......

To: grayoak@holly.colostate.edu (Nick Benson)
Subject: Re: How do I buff......
From: David Hall <dhall@hp-vcd.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 95 7:13:59 PDT
Hello Nick..

I have the same problem on my 72 MGB/GT.  Also, however, I have many pits,
and a few scratches that are rusting.

To fixe the pits which are not rusting, I am using some PolyKote(?) black
touch-up paint which I got from the local Thrifty Auto Store.

For the rusting spots, and for the scratches, I am sanding down to bare
metal with 400 grit Wet/Dry sandpaper, masking, and then painting with
auto primer, and then finish coats.  This seems to be working well.  (Although,
definately not as good as a completely _new_ paint job, but that comes
later when I've got some more $)

I've been using TurtleWax Rubbing Compound, Cheese Cloth, and lots of elbow
grease to smooth the transitions from my painted areas, and also to clean up
the oxidization.  After that, I use TurtleWax Car Wax.  Comes out 200% better
than what I started with.

I have seen some buffing pads and motors at the auto store, but haven't used
one.  Also, I have never seen anything for a power drill.

Dave Hall
dhall@vcd.hp.com