Re: MGB questions, comments (long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB questions, comments (long)
From: glenns@edge.ercnet.com (Glenn Schnittke)
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 1995 00:55:21 -0500
Ray,

>I have a question about the steering, though, and that relates to the
>nature of the beast.

Snip, snip

>This car steers like a truck, in comparison with Kermit the frogeye.  I
>have determined that the nearside inner tie rod is worn, and there is
>about 1/16 play in the lower bushing of the king pins.  Also, the top
>bushing of the steering column is worn, giving about 1/8 play.  The car
>has worn 185/70 14 tires on original rostyle wheels.  If I jack up the
>front end, I can spin the steering wheel from lock to lock with one
>finger, so there isn't any severe binding in the unloaded system.
>
>Question 5:  Clearly, new tires, possibly with a narrower section, would
>lighten it some.  But is the steering of B's normally pretty heavy?

Point #1; I would think so, in comparison with Kermit. How much shorter is
Kermit's wheelbase? And how do the r&p gear ratios compare?

#2; Tie rods & kingpins. Both of these will add to the stiffness, the tie
rod more so, IMO. The column is actually repairable. I just did it to the
maroon (I just pelted the big list with that adventure), but shouldn't add
much to the stiffness that you'd notice. I've got a bad inner tie rod too,
and I'm sure it stiffens the steering up a little, but I think it makes it
wander more than stiffen. A word of warning; I haven't been able to find
JUST the inner tie rod repair kit anywhere. I had to buy a whole new rack.
(Daily Double Tip - this week TRF has 'em on their weekly special. Get it
NOW! Work out a deal with the owner. I happened on it at the right time).

#3. Tires; I've got 165SR14's on the maroon and there's tread still on them.
That's all I've ever had on it, so I've got nothing to compare it to. I'm
coming up on time and they aren't available around here so I'm due for a
change of life.

In general, the GT's I've driven have been a little stiffer than the RD's.
But they've also got considerably more weight in the rear end than the
roadsters, so they're going to handle differently. Also, as I know you're
aware, any reference you see to the lightness of steering or ease of
steering has to be taken with an eye towards when they were made and what
they were being compared to. But they are supposed to be quick, flat, and
movable. With all it's faults, mine is. It's not power steering, but it's
not a 1949 Dodge 1/2T pickup with a flathead six. God, that was a great truck...

Glenn
Every Titanic has it's iceberg.

Glenn Schnittke                    Recovering Musician
Nashville TN                       615-385-2800
glenns@edge.ercnet.com             72147.3635@compuserve.com