Re: Oil Pressure Questions...

To: swanson@kira.ecs.umass.edu (Jon N Swanson), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Questions...
From: smenzel@halcyon.com (Sandro Menzel)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 00:58:25 -0700
At 1:39 AM 7/10/95, Jon N Swanson wrote:

>What is "normal" oil pressure for a '73 MGB and what steps can be taken
>to improve it short of a complete engine rebuild (or are there any worthwhile
>steps...)  If somebody wants to point me to a resource on the net I'll be
>happy to do the looking up myself.
>
>I have a '73 with approx 120k miles on it.  Unknown history of any engine
>rebuilds.  I currently have 10W40 oil in it.  When I start it cold it keeps
>the oil pressure up around 60psi constantly.  After it warms up, it holds
>50psi for 3000RPM+, 40psi for 2000RPM, and drops to 15psi (gulp!) or so
>(tough to read the guage that low...) when idling around 1000RPM.

My '66 Miget (1098) of unknown mileage behaves exactly the same. My warming
up period (time it takes for the oil pressure to start dipping this bad at
idle) takes around eight to ten miles at highway speeds. Changing the oil
seems to help the oil pressure when it's cold but my pressure still drops
down to around 20 psi at idle.

Take care

Sandro

'73 Jensen-Healey                                          Seattle, WA
'66 MG Midget                          http://www.halcyon.com/smenzel/