Re: Oil Pressure Questions... -Reply

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Questions... -Reply
From: RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 13:55:59 -0400
It could be that the  oil relief valve and/or spring are in a sort of
oscillating mode, alowing the oil pressure to vary, but I really know
NUTTING about that little devil...anybody out there care to explain
the oil relief valve theory of operation?  Anybody ever change
springs with good results? TIA

Uh-oh.  Does anybody know why I get
- 75 psi at cold idle
- 50 psi at hot idle (well, actually 1000 rpm)
- 70 psi at anything above idle on a hot engine

(Bone-stock and mostly original [like, I replaced a few gaskets] '74
18V.)

I can think of two scenarios:
1.  I have an incredibly sturdy and well-cared-for engine which, even
    though it has 114K on it, is far from needing a rebuild.
2.  My gauge is flaky.

(I suppose both could be true.  Unlikely, but it could happen.)

Related question:  Why does my gauge oscillate between 50 and 70 psi
at hot idle?  This only happens maybe 30% of the time, and I haven't
been able to correlate it to anything.

--

Todd Mullins todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil        On the lovely Mississippi
(USA) Coast