Oil Pressure Questions...

To: mgs@autox.team.net (MG Mail List mgs@autox.team.net)
Subject: Oil Pressure Questions...
From: swanson@kira.ecs.umass.edu (Jon N Swanson)
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 1995 21:39:27 -0400 (EDT)
I've been looking around for an answer to this question, and can't seem to
find any pertinent data:

What is "normal" oil pressure for a '73 MGB and what steps can be taken
to improve it short of a complete engine rebuild (or are there any worthwhile
steps...)  If somebody wants to point me to a resource on the net I'll be
happy to do the looking up myself.

I have a '73 with approx 120k miles on it.  Unknown history of any engine
rebuilds.  I currently have 10W40 oil in it.  When I start it cold it keeps
the oil pressure up around 60psi constantly.  After it warms up, it holds
50psi for 3000RPM+, 40psi for 2000RPM, and drops to 15psi (gulp!) or so
(tough to read the guage that low...) when idling around 1000RPM.

Is this normal?  Can I improve it by changing to a different weight of oil?
I don't plan to run this car in the winter, so I'm not worried about the
cold weather starting viscosity.

Another question I just thought of - I have a jack for my MG but I'm not
sure it is the correct one.  It says Bilstein on the top and has a round
bar that protrudes about 7".  This bar seems to fit into the jacking point
on the car, but when I try to raise the car, the top of the jack tries to
embed itself in the door.  Am I missing part of the jack or do I have the
wrong one?  Is there supposed to be some sort of extension bar?

Thanks,
--
Jon Swanson
swanson@kira.ecs.umass.edu