Re: Shopping for MGA

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shopping for MGA
From: "IGander" <IGander@mathsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 95 10:35:55 EST
What should I look for in an MGA? Any problem areas to watch out for?
What are the engin options? I assume the MGA is geared properly for
modern highway speeds (unlike the T series). I plan to take it on occasional
trips.

An MGA will manage around 100MPH and will cruise happily all day at 60-70MPH. (
I have one and drive it to work most days and have no problems in modern
traffic. All mechanical parts are readily available and reasonably priced (in
the UK at least, they are often cheaper than modern car equivalents) All body
parts are available too but are quite expensive.

When buying an MGA I would say overall good condition of the bodywork should be
your no. 1 priority. Actually I guess this is true of most classic cars. Check
the clutch is OK as it's and engine out job to replace it. Synchro on 2nd is
weak too.

Ian Gander

Bob Donahue  " 50s FOREVER "
rdonahue@holli.com