Re: insurance

To: uricchio@cvi.hahnemann.edu
Subject: Re: insurance
From: Cindy_Jizmagian@bcsmac.org (Cindy Jizmagian)
Date: 27 Jul 1995 23:49:06 GMT
In some states insurance companies offer (or, more to the point, are required
to offer)  low-mileage discounts.  In Massachusetts the annual discount has
been 5% on a car driven under 10,000 miles per year and 10% on a car driven
under 5,000 miles per year.  Twice my insurance carrier attempted to average
the total miles my MGB was driven since purchased new, factoring in several
years of full-time use.  I had to ask the Insurance Commisioner's Office to
educate the insurance co. about the regulations (specifically that use be
calculated on a calendar-year basis).
I found a licensed appraiser at an MG sales-and-service garage in Wenham, MA.
I also found an appraiser in Cambridge, MA who likes MGB's. I was satisfied
with the appraisals in both cases.  I can check my records or get on the
phone (remember the phone?) to get the specifics if anyone wants to e-mail me
for more specific information. I have been advised to keep a recent appraisal
handy in case the unthinkable happens.

>I'd like to ask a different sort of insurance question. I have a 79 B which
is
>not a daily driver. A friend who is a Ford Shelby enthusiast tells me there
is
>a type of insurance you can get if the car is driven less than 2500 miles
per
>year that is relatively cheap. Does anyone out there have experience with
this
>type of insurance? Thanks in advance.

                Chip Uricchio
                Philadelphia, PA