Colourtuning problems

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Colourtuning problems
From: Kevin Sullivan <Kevin.Sullivan@sfo-nichols.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 08:04:58 -0500 (CDT)
My 60 MGA was running way to rich.  I adjusted using the "lift the
piston" method and it was still too rich.  Front SU was about 8 flats
down, rear about 4.  Black, sooty plug action.  So I ordered a
Colortune.  Jets all the way up, still yellow.  Looks too rich at idle
and on up.  Think the needles and jets are worn?  Rebuild the carbs?

Anyway, what's odd is when driving the car like this it stumbles like
it's too lean, even when the engine is up to operating temp.  If I'm
accelerating and pull out on the choke, it smooths out and picks up.
What's up?

Points and static timing are set per the book.  I know an old distributor
can move around a lot; perhaps setting dwell would be more accurate than
setting gap.  How can you figure out what dwell would be equivalent to
.015" gap?

Kevin Sullivan -- 1960 MGA
Nichols Research Corp.
Shalimar FL USA