paint it black

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: paint it black
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 14:21:52 +0500
>For people who will quibble about the paucity of black MGB's, a lot of
>black MGB's other than the '67 and '79 limited editions were SOLD by
>dealerships, but they weren't black when they got here.  There was a GT
>color combination of a lavender car with a yellow interior -- not beige,
>yellow.  Almost all of these were painted black before being sold. In
>'79, there was a Triumph TR7 that was painted a dark metallic blue-green
>and had a black, grey, white and red plaid interior.

FWIW:  I have an original advertisement for US MGBs from 1963 and they do
indeed list black as a color offered for sale.  This is a US brochure so
that may be a dealer applied color.

I have a friend who entered his black bugeye in a show and had to argue with
the judges not to dock him points for the color (serious show, I guess).
They insisted it was not an original color.  He insisted it was; just that
virtually no one actually bought one that color.

My initial intention was to paint "Old Whitesides" black.  Members of my
local car guy support group liked the idea but insisted that wide white
walls (appearantly also 'period' as many photos of early Bs show the wide
whitewalls) were then necessary (I have disk wheels).  I balked at that idea
and at the 11th hour switched to OEW, with red iterior (a nicer combination,
in my mind, than lavender with yellow  =:o  ).

Will "bottomless pit of useless information" Zehring