Re: paint it black

To: Will Zehring <wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu>
Subject: Re: paint it black
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 16:27:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 28 Jul 1995, Will Zehring wrote:

> FWIW:  I have an original advertisement for US MGBs from 1963 and they do
> indeed list black as a color offered for sale.  This is a US brochure so
> that may be a dealer applied color.

Nope.  Black was offered in 63.  See my other note.

> I have a friend who entered his black bugeye in a show and had to argue with
> the judges not to dock him points for the color (serious show, I guess).
> They insisted it was not an original color.  He insisted it was; just that
> virtually no one actually bought one that color.

WELL, Will, black was NOT an original bugeye color. There has been a lot
of confusion about it, because there was a brochure that is reproduced in
many bugeye books and which was apparently used a lot by dealers, which
featured an artist's rendition of a black bugeye.  There may have been
black prototypes, but during production black wasn't available.

Ray

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910