Re: synthetic oil additives

To: rasputin@gate.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: synthetic oil additives
From: "JOHN WHITEHEAD" <WHITEJ@sunynassau.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 09:08:50 EST
> Can anyone advise me about usung a product called "Slick 50" (I think) in a
> '52 TD? I have been told that this was a teflon-coating additive that will
> prolong the life of the engine. I know not of this substance. My TD runs
> like a proverbial top. The engine is like new (after much work by good
> mechanics), and I hate to use something that could have a downside. I use
> Castrol in it now. Is this additive worthwhile? Thanks, Tom Britt
>
>    rasputin@gate.net

I'm no expert when it comes to additives, but I would suggest you
take a look at an arctile that a friend of mine shared with me.  He
got it out of the August 1992 edition of a magizine called Road
Rider.  The article is titled "Snake Oil".  Since reading it I don't
know that I would be too quick to use anything other than good ol'
oil in the engine (synthetic or mineral).

    `   77777 33333    BBBB     John Whitehead
     `     7      3    B   B    Network Administrator
          7    3333    BBBB     Nassau Community College
         7        3    B   B    One Education Drive
        7     33333    BBBB     Garden City, NY 11530-6793
                                whitej@sunynassau.edu

1973 MGB (Red) "The Phoenix"
1992 Toyota P/U (to tow the "B")