Re: synthetic oil additives

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: synthetic oil additives
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 17:58:47 -0400
Tom Britt writes:
>Can anyone advise me about using a product called "Slick 50" (I think) in a
>'52 TD?

Don't.

> My TD runs like a proverbial top. ...I hate to use something that could
have
> a downside. I use Castrol in it now. Is this additive worthwhile?

No.
I believe there is an article on this in the SOL archives.  If you cannot
find
it, let me know, and I'll e-mail you a copy.  Basically, it describes
research
done on these additives and comes up with facts like, PTFE (Teflon(tm))
may coat moving parts, but it will coat non-moving things better and faster
- like oil passages, restricting oil flow.  It also expands something like
200%
when heated, clogging oil filters in short time.  In long-term testing, they
found that while wear particles in the oil were reduced for about 500 miles,
they increased drastically after that, to the point where there was
significantly
more wear in the "treated" engine.

Oil companies spend huge amounts on R&D to come up with safe, effective
"additive packages" which are _already_ in the oil.  Don't mess with them.

Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com) Spits in bits