speaking of OD's

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: speaking of OD's
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 95 12:55:11 PDT
With all this talk of OD's and what can go wrong with them, I realize that
I know ABsoLUTEly nothing about OD's.  I have a '72 OD tranny sitting in my
garage waiting to go into a '67 MGB that I'm theorectically restoring (haven't
touched it in about six months).

Yes, I know that the shift arm is longer on the later tranny.  Bill Schloss-
nagel in El Cajon, CA has agreed to shorten the shift arm for me like he did
for the '74 tranny in the '67 B I'm currently driving.  His price of $75 has
not gone up in the last 10 years or so since he did my last one.

So, the questions are:

1) Is the driveshaft out of the non-overdrive '67 B (with later rearend)
going to work with the OD fully synchro tranny?  I sure hope so because
I've already put new U-joints in it and had it balanced.  And it won't
go in my other '67 B (which is probably a '66) because it has the early
rearend.

2) What do I need to check out about the OD before I actually stuff the
engine and tranny in the car?  I was told by the previous owner of the
OD tranny that it didn't work because the solenoid was bad, but he looked
very sheepish when he said this.  I make a habit of not believing anything
anyone says about a part they're selling me so that I'm never disappointed.
I justified buying the thing by telling myself that once I had the case, I
could replace anything inside that was bad.  So I'd like to know what to
look for so I'll know which inside parts I need to replace beFORE it's in
the car.

All advice will be greatly appreciated!

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com