Fram oil filters sure do suck

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fram oil filters sure do suck
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 1995 15:19:18 +0600
I changed my oil yesterday in my 77 B.  When I pulled the filter, a little
bit of the rubber backflow-prevention diaphragm was poking out one of the
holes on the bottom.  Oil was draining out of the filter upon shutdown,
causing excessive delay between the next engine startup and oil pressure
coming up as the pump tries to refill the filter.  I've long suspected this
was the cause.

Just for funsies, I got out the Dremel and hacked the thing open.  That
diaphragm is a flimsy little piece of garbage.  As pliable as it is when
cold, I'd hate to see it when it's hot.  I'm surprised it hadn't
disintegrated completely.

I switched to an AC Duraguard filter, and so far it seems to be holding oil
in after shutdown.  I'm just wondering what brand other folks might
recommend.  How about these Wix filters I've been hearing so much about?
Where can you get them?
--
Jay Tilton     | vt = Virginia Tech
jtilton@vt.edu | vt <> Vermont