Re: *YES*! I got a Midget!!

To: graham@disr.den.mmc.com (Graham Knight)
Subject: Re: *YES*! I got a Midget!!
From: nvenn@mpc-uk.com (Neil Venn)
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 95 9:59:08 BST
Graham,
Congratulations, you've bought yourself a wonderfully fun car that will
provide you with many, many hours of entertainment on and off road (that's
off road, in the workshop)

> It isn't getting any fuel. My guess is that the fuel
> pump isn't working. Does this model use an electric
> pump? I cant find a mechanical one on the engine.

Your looking in the wrong place. The engine bay would be a sensible place
to put it, wouldn't it? Easy to find, easy to maintain, easy to keep clean?
Well you've bought an MG, a British car that is fun to drive and fun to
work on because they are full of suprises. And this suprise is that the
fuel pump is beautifully positioned inboard of the rear wheelarch, if its
in the same place on left and right hand drive models then its under the
left hand rear wheelarch as you look at the car from the front. You'll
have to get the car up on ramps or stands to look at it, unless you're less
than 5 inches thick! It is electrical and ought to have a set of points
(that can go wrong but can be fixed), but many are converted to solid-state
points.

> Brakes seem pretty well shot. No fluid in the master
> cylinder. Are brake parts fairly easy to come by
> for this model?

They are easy to come by in the UK, and I have read about anyone else
having difficulties on this list - unless you order from TRF!

> Does this model use a hydraulic clutch? How reliable
> are they?

Yes, it's hydraulic. They are as reliable as any other part of the car but
the slave cylinder is a bugger to get at as its on the side of the tranny
just up inside the tunnel from underneath again.

> I have about 999 more questions, but I'll stop here.
> I'm thrilled to finally have a Midget, hopefully
> it will be roadworthy soon!

Don't bet on it. But we'll hope so for your sake :-)

Have fun...

--
                                      /|
                                    /| o