Re: MG Tuning

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG Tuning
From: Alan Tong <alan@picotech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 10:04:53 GMT
There's little point in sticking to the standard settings on a rebuilt &
modified engine.  The only way to set it up properly is on a rolling road (it
really is worth it).

To get the car running properly in the short term, forget using a timing light
simply twist the distributor until it runs ok, take it on a run and check for
pinking. (15 to 20 degrees is not an unusal setting)  Pull the plugs out and
check whether the mixture looks rich/lean and adjust the carbs to suit (or use
one of those colourtune things)

Do check the valve timing, but once again the standard settings will be wrong
for a modified cam.  Most performance cams require bigger clearances + will
have
different settings for inlet and exhaust

Hope this is of some help

Regards
Alan Tong

--
"Who's General Failure & why's he reading my disk?"