Weber vs. SU

Subject: Weber vs. SU
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 01:11:06 -0400 (EDT)
I have twin HIF4s on an 8.0:1 engine (Kent fast road cam, stock manifold,
Ansa exhaust).  As I mentioned in my previous message, I got to drive a
Weber-equipped B last Sunday.  I was impressed!  That instant throttle
response is nice. (He was running rich jets and has a header and
Supertrapp exhaust).

My question:  Given the best possible tuning for my engine (dyno?) can I
get anywhere near the response of the Weber with SUs?  Or will it always
be "loud, then fast"?

I'm willing to mess with oil, springs, and needles if there's a chance.
I like the SUs and understand them pretty well.. the Weber is uncharted
territory for me.  Also, the local hot-shoes equip with one Weber, as
opposed to 2 SUs.

I'd like to hear from folks who have tried 1) Optimally tuning stock
sized SUs (including oil, spring, and needle), 2) Using 1 larger carb
instead of the stock pair, 3) Using 2 larger carbs (such as HIF6s, HS6s,
or HS8s) instead of the stock pair, and 4) using the Weber.

I have heard that Webers are good for low end acceleration and SUs breath
better at the top end.  Is this true?

I'll stop now <g>.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle