Re: 104mph = ???RPM

To: woodcomp@vt.edu (chris lenth)
Subject: Re: 104mph = ???RPM
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 11:28:16 +0600
>Several minutes later the technician returns with a notarized
>piece of paper that has a row of speeds 5 15 25 35 etc up to 85 with the
>actual (measured) speeds written in above it.  The actual speed recorded
>corresponding to a speedometer reading of 85 was 104 mph!

Hello, Chris.  Good to hear your B is working well enough to get you tickets.
:) :(

The calibration places I've been to only go up to a speedo reading of 65mph,
the logic being that the driver will already know he's breaking the law if
the speedo reads higher than the maximum speed limit.

Assuming everything is stock specifications (like 165SR-14 tires), without
OD it's 17.9 mph per thousand RPM's.  With OD, it's 21.8 mph per thousand RPM's.

104 mph corresponds to an engine speed of 5810 RPM.  Yee!  200 away from
redline.  If he'd engaged the OD, that would have dropped to 4770 RPM.

I wouldn't worry about it.  The test shouldn't have put any load on the
engine, unless Monkeyboy doesn't know how to run the dyno.

>Then I realize
>that I did not here the tech engage the OD, and procede to ask him if he
>did.  "Overdrive?  hmmm, nope"

Twit.  Maybe I should put together a pre-flight checklist for clods like
him.  I'll know a technician's done right when I hear him shout "Clear
prop!" before starting the car.

So what are you doing on this fine Blacksburg afternoon, Chris?  Want to get
together for a beer and a look at each other's car?
--
Jay Tilton     | vt <> Vermont.  vt = Virginia Tech.
jtilton@vt.edu | .sig subject to change without notice