Brakes, lights, water

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mg)
Subject: Brakes, lights, water
From: Graham Knight <graham@disr.den.mmc.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 95 9:58:40 MDT
Hi Folks,
        Thanks to everyone who posted i was able to get the carbs
on my '73 Midget all cleaned repaired and tuned - it runs
wonderfully!! :)

        I rebuilt the clutch hydraulics and i now have some clutch,
however, i dont have much. The clutch pivot arm is pivoted almost
all the way back at rest. I dont think that this is too good,
unless there is some way to take up this slop (i cant see one),
i see a new clutch in my future.

        The brakes have been rebuilt and now work very well. No brake
lights though - the Haynes manual isn't telling me much about this -
What is the difference between the brake pressure warning switch
and the brake light switch? I can only find one switch, does it
perform both duties?

        My '73 has an air pump, which is frozen. I dont understand why
a '73 would have an air pump, maybe it's a California model?
Anyway, Colorado doesn't require any emmision stuff on a '73, so
I'd much rather remove it that replace it ($$$). I figured I'd
just take it all off and plug the manifold injector holes. Any
flaws in that plan?? On some engines the air injector plays
a role in keeping the exhaust cooler, is this an issue with a Midget?

        The last (for now) little problem i have is that the water
temp gauge doesn't work. Every other gauge works just fine. I
can't find the water temp gauge sending unit anywhere, where
did they hide it??

        Thanks again to everyone who helped me with my carb problems!
That SU carb is a neat unit - once you figure out how it works :)

        TIA,
        Graham

--
Graham Knight           graham@disr.den.mmc.com                   303-977-7085