Re: Painting rubber bumpers

To: Sean Johnson <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Subject: Re: Painting rubber bumpers
From: cedwards@pinn.net
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 11:33:19 -0500 (EST)
Yes, I've converted a '77 MGB roadster to chrome bumpers.  A little
imagination in designing the bumper supports is required.  Additionally,
at the rear one must fabricate the part of the fender that - on an older
B -protrudes beneath the tail light.  I carved a form using a piece of 2
X 4 and hammered galanized sheet steel to the proper shape.  Then I
attached them beneath the tail light by passing sheet metal screws
through from inside the trunk.
        The front of the car presents equally challenging obstacles, but
with a grinder the interfering rubber bumper mounts can be shortened, an
appropriate grille mounted, and chrome bumpers attached.
        Aside from appearance considerations, the car handles in a vastly
superior manner since (as Road & Track says) I have lowered the polar
moment of inertia.

Charles E. Edwards, CPA
Virginia Beach, VA
cedwards@pinn.net