Re: Differential nut

Subject: Re: Differential nut
From: John Van Valkenburgh <jvan@nando.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 17:02:12 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "Christopher W. Reichle" <Christopher.W.Reichle@students.Miami.EDU>
>Subject: Re: Differential nut
>Dare I say heat it up with a torche? Works great on rusted stuff. I don't
>know what the adverse affects might be on a diff. Standard disclaimer
>applies... I was really reaching for this one.

Um, I would'nt do that.  Near the nut there is a seal yes?  The torch
heats the seal and it leaks out oil onto the torch and...  Even if you
drain the unit, I'd suspect some oil will still be trapped there.

I had to do this on my '70.  Granted its the Tube-type axle, but that
should not matter.  I:

- Marked the position of the nut in relation to the pinion so that you can
put things back in their previous positions on reassembly.  At least on
tube type axles the torque on this nut is somewhat critical.

- Made REALLY sure the car was secure on the jack stands.

- Got somebody to hold down the foot brake so the wheels don't turn.

Get the correct size socket for the nut and use a straight bar handle.
Perhaps use a piece of pipe as a breaker bar, but be careful the bar
does not slip and break you.

Wear gloves.

Best of luck!

John Van Valkenburgh