Re: Differential nut

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Differential nut
From: JAMES <JBMYERS@msuvx2.memphis.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 10:20:40 -0500 (CDT)
Russ (I'll take my Louisville Slugger over your pneumatic wrench) Wilson,

I'll take the air wrench, _and_ spot you a half-mile run-up with a JATO boost.

Having gone through your situation before ('69 Chevy pickup), I was amazed at
the ease and speed with which my real mechanic friend used an impact wrench to
remove the pinion nut. Apparently, the longer the cheaterbar you use, the less
effective your blows are, due to flexing of your cheaterbar. Or maybe its just
that you and I can't deliver the repeated shocks to the nut. Or, it could be
that the nut is just being stubborn, and having a large power tool placed over
its head and having itself repeatedly bashed about in a noisy fashion simply
scares the nut into coming off. At any rate, it was worth it to get an impact
wrench into the fracas.

James "I want a compressor _and_ a Dremel for Christmas" B.
"71 MGB
'71 LeSabre