Re: How fast should my B be?

To: slindsay@nyx.cs.du.edu (Steve Lindsay)
Subject: Re: How fast should my B be?
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 13:02:46 +0600
>My question is how much of a hot rod should it be?  Can=20
>someone give me some figures that it should be doing? =20
>0 to 60 or 40 to 60 in fourth or a quarter mile?  It just=20
>seems like it doesn't have the power.

Well, I don't have any figures for a B set up like yours (doubt anybody=20
would), but I do have some figures from an article in _Special Interest=20
Autos_ #146 that were swiped from _Road & Track_, 11/63.

Your car: 270=B0 cam, 8.0:1 pistons (I assume), Weber carb, headers
Test car: 252=B0 cam, 8.8:1 pistons, dual SU carbs, stock exhaust

Your cam's a little hotter, but the CR isn't as good.  I can't decide which=
=20
car to give the edge in performance, so let's just say there can't be an=20
obscene difference in performance between the two.

0-30 mph: 3.9 seconds
0-40 mph: 5.9
0-50 mph: 9.0
0-60 mph: 12.5
0-70 mph: 17.7
0-80 mph: 25.0
0-90 mph: 34.5
standing quarter mile: 18.5 seconds

>The timing bothers=20
>me.  I can advance the timing to 30 to 35 degrees and it will=20
>not knock.  It runs better at 30 to 35 than back at 15 or=20
>20 degrees.  By adjusting the timing by ear for the fastest=20
>idle it is around that  30 to 35 degrees.  Is this right? =20

Sounds like you're way too far advanced.  I'd hesitate to advance any=20
engine's timing more than 5-10=B0 over its original specification.  In my=20
experience, tuning by ear is just a bad idea.  The potential for problems=20
(just wait until your engine gets really hot) doesn't justify the marginal=
=20
increase in performance.  But who's going to argue with your experience?  If=
=20
you like it that far advanced, stick with it.
--
Jay Tilton
jtilton@vt.edu