Re: Rear axle noise

To: Glenn Mapes <gmapes@ball.com>
Subject: Re: Rear axle noise
From: "Christopher W. Reichle" <Christopher.W.Reichle@students.Miami.EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 10:06:29 -0400 (EDT)
I can almost guarantee you that the scraping/rubbung noise from the side
is either the brake shoes rubbing in the inside of the drum or the drum
rubbing on the dust shield. The bearings in this car are lubricated by
the 90 wt oil that you put into the diff. They are large ball bearings
(almost 1/2 inch in dia.) I replaced mine because I thought they were
bad. They have to be pressed off and on to the axle. You also need a
glorified dent puller to pull the axle out so check for scrape marks
first on the inside of the drum, corners of brake shoes and dust shield.

Chris