Re: Sources for Phosphoric Acid?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sources for Phosphoric Acid?
From: "Ramm, Andy" <ARAMM@sv.tbgi.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 1995 16:04:29
I'll give another plug for Kano Labs.  They have a product called ExRust
that I used on a bunch of old Motorcycle parts, including chrome fenders
and the inside of a rusty tank.  It worked very well for me.  These are
the same folk wo make Kroil.  I don't have their number handy now, but
someone on the list must.  Its probably worth checking out.

Andy Ramm

'67 Midget Mk III -- The Smidgin

and, of course, I have no affilliation, blah blah blah, YMMV.

----------------Original Message Follows----------------

> A week or so ago, I posted text from an article on metal de-rusting.
The

> component in the best de-rusters appears to be phosphoric acid.

> Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a source for phosphoric acid (in
less

> than 55 gal drums).  Someone said the farm feed stores had acid rinse;
tried

> that.  I can always use Naval Jelly, but it would be nice to have a 5
gallon

> bucket I could dip parts in to de rust.

> I also received an article stating that tri-sodium phosphate was a good

> stripper, and recommended drain opener (brand name Drano) as a source
of TSP.

>  Unfortunately, I could only find Drano in liquid form, and this
doesn't have

> any kind of phosphate in it.

> Anybody know a possible source for TSP or phosphoric acid?

Paint stores sell something called TSP for dulling gloss paint before

painting over it.  Is this tri-sodium phosphate?  I thought crystal

Drano was lye.  I've used it to take the accumulated food gunk off of

antique cast iron pans.  Red Devil Lye drain opener is definitely lye.

Denise Thorpe

thorpe@kegs.saic.com

---------------- End of Original Message -----------------