Re: Sources for Phosphoric Acid?

To: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Subject: Re: Sources for Phosphoric Acid?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 95 14:00:26 PDT

> Paint stores sell something called TSP for dulling gloss paint before
> painting over it.  Is this tri-sodium phosphate?  I thought crystal
> Drano was lye.  I've used it to take the accumulated food gunk off of
> antique cast iron pans.  Red Devil Lye drain opener is definitely lye.
>
> Denise Thorpe

Drano is indeed lye, but works dandy as a paint stripper, as I'm sure
Red Devil Lye would.  However, face and body protection are needed
with this stuff, because it's pretty nasty to human hide.

Be careful when buying TSP.  There's a product on the market called TSP
that contains no trisodium phosphate.  It's a green liquid, I believe.
TSP is a white, slightly soapy powder.  And it will strip paint if
use as a hot liquid soak.  It worked well on my Lucas horn and various
other bits.

Roland