Alternator woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternator woes
From: Jeffrey Taberski <taberski@uidaho.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 21:13:41 -0700 (PDT)
The alternator on my '77 B seems to have a problem.  Rather than fix it
again or pay $100 for a rebuilt unit, I was thinking about getting one of
those $35 GM or Ford rebuilds with a lifetime warranty at the parts
store.  I figure all I need is a alternator with internal regulation and
bracket ears that are close to the original.  Has anyone else done this
conversion and have a suggestion as to which alternator fits the best?

For those of you wondering what the original problem was:
Initially, it wasn't charging at all.  I replaced the regulator and now
it charges, but the ignition light flickers at idle to 1500 RPM.  I
suspect that one of the diodes are out and one of the three phases is
reversing its voltage (thus flickering the light).

So...I took the rectifier (diodes) out and checked it.  It *seemed* to
work ok when I checked it (ie, each diode registered open at one
polarity, closed at other polarity).  It may be that one of the diodes
are allowing reverse voltage at higher voltages (which my meter does not
supply).

I suspect that if I replace the rectifier, it will work fine, but I'd
like to have a lifetime warranty and a fairly common unit in case it dies
on the road far from home.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance...

-Jeff
'63 MGB roadster
'65 MGB parts car/possibly body donor car for the '63 since it's rust free
'77 MGB roadster (daily driver)
'61 Morris Minor 2 dr sedan (for sale)