Re: Alternator woes

To: Jeffrey Taberski <taberski@uidaho.edu>
Subject: Re: Alternator woes
From: vortex@worldaccess.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 1995 11:27:14 +0200
Sep 2nd, Jeffrey Taberski wrote:

>The alternator on my '77 B seems to have a problem
>it charges, but the ignition light flickers at idle to 1500 RPM.

It seems to me that probably the carbon brushes are worn out.
(Yes, contrary to popular belief, alternators *do* have carbon brushes!)

Had the same problem twice, once with my MGB in Luxemburg.
Fortunately, the batteries were fully charged, so I managed to get home
even with a faulty alternator, 300 miles or so. Had to pushstart the car,
however,  after filling up...
Another time, when I worked in Sweden in 1979 as a trainee. My British car
(not MGB) probably was the only car of the type in that country, so I
had the parts shipped.

When I recall correctly, you don't even have to remove the alt. from the engine.
Just remove the black cover with the cooling slots from the rear.
There is a nylon brush holder at the end of the shaft.
Check the length of these brushes. They are cheap and easily replaced.
I suggest you try this first.

I don't think it is one of the diodes. Had a problem with them also once,
on yet another car.  The symptoms I then had were different. The charge light
just stayed on, albeit dimly, at higher RPMs.  I left this so for a very
long time.

Hope this is of any use to you.

Bert Palte