Re: Curious steering answer?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Curious steering answer?
From: andys@skye.icr.ac.uk (Mr Andy Smith)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 95 10:31:10 GMT
The problem of non-self centring steering can also be caused by too many shims
under the top trunnion of the kingpin.  I should know - my dad and I did this
too when we replaced the first of the midgets kingpins.  Somehow we convinced
ourselves (nothing to do with the beer) that more shims would loosen the
steering.  When we ran out of shims, bought some more, and they ran out we
had a think.

More likely it just needs a good grease and a bit of TLC.

Needless to say we took all the shims out and the car now steers perfectly.

It was a good laugh though with my dad falling about all over the place as I
tried to turn the car round at the bottom of the street on the test drive that
day.

Andy

Andy Smith. Senior Physicist
Royal Marsden Hospital