Re: rad. bushing blowout!

To: "Christopher W. Reichle" <Christopher.W.Reichle@students.Miami.EDU>
Subject: Re: rad. bushing blowout!
From: David Simpson <davids@CyberGate.COM>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 08:37:48 -0700 (PDT)

> > Francis Uricchio wrote:
> > >
> > >I had the unpleasant experience of having the fan heat sensor on the
> > >radiator blow out of the bushing and send radiator fluid traveling
> > >about the engine compartment. It does not want to stay in place once
> > >returned to its proper location. I have two questions 1) will relacing
> > >the rubber bushing alone cure the problem and 2) I am used to thinking
> > >of radiators as a high pressure system. This bushing/sensor
> > >combination does not seem designed to withstand high pressure. Is
> > >there something different about this cooling system compared to say an
> > >american car?? Thanks in advance.

     I had the same thing happen to me. In my case, the engine was brand
new (well, rebuilt). The old bushing went all the way through the hole,
and expanded to form a plug when the sensor was pushed into it. The new
bushing I got to replace it was nothing more than a rubber washer with a
notch cut around the outside edge to fit the hole. Nothing whatsoever to
hold it in place except a bit of friction. I fixed the problem by making
a bracket out of sheet metal that fits over the top of the radiator, and
clamps the thing into place so it CAN'T come out. Elegant, it ain't. It's
worked fine for over three years now, though.
     The radiator only runs at about 15 p.s.i., becausse that's what the
relief pressure on the cap is. Not much pressure at all. But that sensor
has maybe 3/4 square inch of area? I don't remember. But that's a good 10
pounds or so of force on it, plenty to push it out. I don't see why it
doesn't fall out from it's own weight. Of course, if your radiator
actually BOILS, the pressure goes way up, and the cap will vent off,
causing the well-known side-of-the-road geyser experience!
     No one I talked to seemed to know about my old, good, proper bushing
on the darn thing, and I haven't been able to find one.

Dave Simpson