Re: rad. bushing blowout!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rad. bushing blowout!
From: gmccann@pcug.org.au (Graham McCann)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 09:59:56 +1000
>I had the unpleasant experience of having the fan heat sensor on the radiator
>blow out of the bushing and send radiator fluid traveling about the engine
>compartment. It does not want to stay in place once returned to its proper
>location. I have two questions 1) will relacing the rubber bushing alone cure
>the problem and 2) I am used to thinking of radiators as a high pressure
>system. This bushing/sensor combination does not seem designed to withstand
>high pressure. Is there something different about this cooling system compared
>to say an american car?? Thanks in advance.

The special gasket around the sensor only goes in one way. There are also
two types, depending on whether you have the type which has a retainer clip
as well as the gasket, and they are not interchangeable.  They are actually
a rather ingenious use of dynamics in the way they seal and will normally
withstand enormous pressure before letting go.  Your radiator cap may not be
releasing pressure at the correct pressure (15psi) and this may be
compounding the problem.
The MGB system is different to most modern cars in that the 'catch tank' is
pressureised.  Nowadays the catch tank is just an overflow holding tank from
which coolant can flow to or from the radiator via the overflow pipe but is
not in itself pressurised.  This is probably a better system except that the
coolant volume available for cooling is less than the MGB arrangement.

regards,
Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au
06 2889055