re: MGB convertible top

To: <moses@csra.net>
Subject: re: MGB convertible top
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 95 11:19:56 -24000
The best way to prevent soft top damage is to prevent sharp folds in the top
(getting it caught between the bows when the top is dropped, for example).

Other than that, the best thing to do is keep the top clean, and use some
kind of ultra-violet blocker.  Some people swear by Armor all; some people
swear at it, but I think any UV blocker beats none.

The last thing to do is not to raise and lower it too much. In the Summer, if
you drive with the top down, use the tonneau when you park.  I used to drop
my top in May and raise it in September, using the tonneau in between.

If your MG is driven much in Winter [horrors!], or stored outside, you might
look into a hard top. A hardtop is a heck of a lot warmer with a hard top,
but the $ involved are substantial.  It's helpful to realize that an often
driven MGB will require periodic maintenance or replacement of the soft top,
and to plan accordingly.

Personally, I was always too busy worrying about other problems, to worry
about the soft top.

Happy Driving!

Sean Johnson
'79 MGB