RE: '75 Midget Engine Rebuild

Subject: RE: '75 Midget Engine Rebuild
From: "White, Richard H." <White@courier3.aero.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 20:59:00 -0700
I cant believe a Midget with 75psi compression can run well either. It must
be burning alot of oil or something else is a foot here. I've used the rubber
tiped compression gauge and it worked well, just crank the engine until the
needle peaks out. It peaks out faster with the throttle open, but it still
works either way. Have you done the wet compressions test with a little oil
added. Perhaps borrow another gauge to double check yours, maybe you're all
worried about nothing. If the wet test gives bigger numbers (5-10psi is OK)
like 30psi or something, the rings are really wornout. My guess is the gauge
is wrong. You can try loosing the valves adjusters a little and take more
data. If you do end up replacing the head gasket, lay the head on its side
and pour gasoline into the intake and ext. ports to see if the valve/seats
are sealing properly. They should not leak any gas. One last note, the 1500cc
engines were bad about wearing out rod bearings prematurely and knock on
initial startup before the oil gets flowing. Consider replacing them every
few years. Good Luck, Richard