Stoned in NJ

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Stoned in NJ
From: Jerome Keller <jkeller@cc-mail.pica.army.mil>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 08:00:56 -0500
     On Mon, 30 Oct 1995, Denise Thorpe wrote:

         "Only the British would feel the need to tell you that 72 is over
          half of a hundred."

     and Ray Gibbons replied:

         "Not half a hundred, but half a hundredweight. A hundredweight is
          something absurd, like 112 pounds.  So 72 pounds is only about a
          stone more than half a hundredweight, give or take a couple of
          pounds."

     Ray, do you mean pounds?  or guineas?

     And while we're at it, just what the hell IS a "stone" anyway? (scores
     of old English films, and I STILL don't know....)

     Jerry Keller