FW: Fuel Pump Questions

To: MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Fuel Pump Questions
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 1995 15:12:00 -0800 (PST)

 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: MGS
Subject: RE: Fuel Pump Questions
Date: Thursday,November 02,1995 8:49AM

>Should I look at replacing this pump with an original?

In my opinion, "yes". The correct SU pump is designed to work with the
rest of the fuel system. In my experience, the only problem with an SU
pump is behind the wheel. The owner often neglects the pump during
routine maintenance. I know people who will check air pressure and oil
and water level before every drive, but who won't look at the pump in
100,000 miles.
*********
In my opinion "No". Two years ago I move down to Miami with my 80 B. About 2
months ago I nearly got killed when my SU decided to stop pumping. It took a
few near death experiences having the engine cut out as I was crossing a
street before I found that It was the fuel pump. Mysteriously, it would
start pumping after I rolled to the other side so I couldn't tell that it
had stopped(A thread on British cars list tippped me off to the problem when
someone talke of pounding on the fuel pump to get it started. I tried it and
it worked). So, on the recommendation of a friend, instead of just replacing
the points,I replaced the whole unit with a new SU. We tried three new ones,
none of which worked until we opened them up and manually started rocking
the points. He explained that it is very rare to get a new SU to work
without preping it the first time. So it worked like a champ after that.
Now, two months later, The same thing is happening and I nearly got creamed
last night along with being late for an appointment. I wish I had paid 10%
of what the SU cost on a cheap Solid state universal pump. Tonight I will be
opening it up to see what's causing the frequent lack of cooperation.
Somehow I think everything will look just fine and opperate without a hitch
until I am depending on it to work and then it will fail. Based on my
expeerience, I could not sleep at night if I were to recommend using an SU.

Chris