Re: FW: Fuel Pump Questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: FW: Fuel Pump Questions
From: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 95 12:53:51 PST
Chris said about SU fuel pumps:

> We tried three new ones,
> none of which worked until we opened them up and manually started rocking
> the points. He explained that it is very rare to get a new SU to work
> without preping it the first time. So it worked like a champ after that.
> Now, two months later, The same thing is happening and I nearly got creamed
> last night along with being late for an appointment.

This is exactly what happens if the fuel pump is installed in other than
the correct orientation.  I know, I did just that.  I can't remember which
side goes up, but there's some obscure mark on the thing that shows it.

BTW, I was told that ignition coils are mounted upside down to keep the
parts near the contacts immersed in the oil that's in the thing.  Other
manufacturers probably don't do this because they don't anticipate that
the coil will leak.

Denise Thorpe
thorpe@kegs.saic.com