Re: Ring JOB

To: Tim Moses <moses@csra.net>
Subject: Re: Ring JOB
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 10:45:19 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 20 Nov 1995, Tim Moses wrote:

> I changed the oil and then set out to adjust the carb.  I heard a "blopp"
> and out of my tail pipe came BILLOWING BLACK, BLACK SMOKE.  Enough smoke to
> make me hack and cough.  After shutting down the engine and visually
> inspecting for damage under the hood and underneath, I attempted to start
> the car again.  Guess what.  I killed the battery trying so many times.
> Pulling the plugs showed that the plugs were coated with black, wet oil.
>
> QUESTIONS:
> 1.      Have I blown the Oil rings on one (or more) of my pistons??

I've never heard of "blowing" an oil ring.  I'd suspect something related
to your fiddling with the carbs.  Especially because black smoke
indicates a very rich mixture.  If you were burning oil, it would be
blue.  Plugs can be wet from gas.

> 2.      Now that I have started to pull the head, I want to replace all the
> rings for all four cylinders.  Moss sells them in a kit, but what is the
> difference between the ring kits which say:
>                           a.       std.  (I assume this means standard)
>                           b.      0.020
>                           c.      0.030
>                           d.      0.040

I don't mean to insult you, but you may not have the basic level of
knowledge to do this job just yet.  At the very least, you need to get
some books and do some reading.  Std = standard.  The others are
oversizes to fit cylinders that have been bored out to diameters 20, 30,
and 40 thousandths of an inch oversize.

> 3.      Should I wait to measure the cylinder walls before phoning in my
> order to Moss for the standard rings?

Yes, but read up on it.  The cylinders may have been bored to an oversize
already.  Even if they have not, you need to ensure that the cylinders are
round and not tapered beyond reasonable limits.  If that does not make
sense, do some reading.

> > 4.      Should I also order new cylinder liners?

This car does not have them, and they are only in order if one or more
cylinders is worn or damaged in such a way that it cannot be reclaimed
by a standard rebore.

Once again, though, I think you are jumping to conclusions about the
cause of your problem.  You may be right, but eliminate less expensive
possibilities first.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910